The Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities, established by the Knesset in 1961, is an all-embracing body with 112 members in two sections. It is administered by a six-member Council headed by President and mandated to:
- promote scholarly and scientific excellence
- advise the government on scientific matters of national significance
- maintain contact with parallel bodies abroad
- ensure Israeli representation at international institutions and conferences
- publish writings calculated to promote scholarship and science
It has spearheaded major initiatives like the Israel Science Foundation, the National Council for Research and Development and membership in CERN, ESRF, etc. It undertakes assessments of scientific disciplines and studies of science policy issues.
Through 32 bi-national agreements the Academy promotes reciprocal scientific visits and coordinates international scientific workshops. It is Israel’s adhering member in major international scientific unions and organisations.
Click here to learn more.
Jabotinsky Road 43
P.O. Box 4040
Phone: +972 2 567 6222
Fax: +972 2 566 6059