Guided by a common understanding of Europe bound together by historical, social, cultural and political factors as well as for scientific and economic reasons, ALLEA’s mission includes:
- promoting the exchange of information and experiences between Academies,
- fostering excellence and high ethical standards in the conduct of research, as well as inter-, trans-, and multidisciplinary approaches in all scientific endeavours,
- striving for the autonomy of science and research and of scientific institutions,
- representing the European Academies and communicating their positions to the European institutions and authorities,
- contributing with its policy for science work to the improvement of the framework conditions under which science and scholarship can flourish.
Together with other pan-European academy organisations, ALLEA strives to offer the best available impartial scientific advice to a wide range of decisionmakers and stakeholders in the science policy arena as well as to the European society at large. In its mission, ALLEA aims to secure the preservation, protection, and interpretation of the European cultural heritage.
ALLEA seeks to contribute to the process of European integration and to a close collaboration between EU and non-EU countries in Europe through its integrative membership structure comprising Academies from both EU and non–EU member states.
Read more on the ALLEA Mission & Strategy.
ALLEA has amended its statutes as the organisation, its membership and its activities have grown.
When the secretariat was moved to Amsterdam (Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences), the then president Pieter Drenth proposed to the GA 2006 that ALLEA be registered as an Association under Dutch Law.
During the registration process, legal requirements under Dutch law necessitated further amendments which were accepted by the General Assembly following the business meeting in 2010.
The amendments were officially incorporated in ALLEA’s Articles of Association in January 2012. Despite the secretariat’s move to Berlin (Berlin Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities) later in 2012, ALLEA remains an Association under Dutch law.
Read the ALLEA Articles of Association.